A magical season has fallen upon us, bringing with it golden leaves, cool breezes, baking pumpkins… and the annual circulation of head colds.
When you’re feeling under the weather, there is nothing better than a steaming bowl of soup to pick you up. But don’t reach for the Campbell’s! Your body needs fresh, wonderful, health-restoring ingredients, packed full of the nutrients that will support your immune system and get you feeling awesome again.
Tomato is a powerful healer – packed full of vitamin C, which as we all know is essential to the immune system. Several parts of the immune system (especially phagocytes and t-cells) depend on this acid to do their jobs (1). Tomatoes are also a great source of beta-carotene, which supports the immune system, skin, mucus membranes and eyes; Vitamin B7, B6, folate, niacin, and vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant.
They pack a punch with their mineral content, too – copper, potassium, molybdenum, manganese, and phosphorus are all found abundantly in tomatoes, and they’re a great source of fiber to support digestive and metabolic health, whilst you devote your energy to getting better.
Soups have traditionally been used to treat illness because the long, low-temperature cooking process preserves vital nutrients, and the breaking up of the vegetables is much easier on digestion, so your body can save itself for healing and restoration. What better way to get yourself back to health than with a big bowl of veggie-packed goodness?
YOU WILL NEED:
5 cups diced tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic
1 large yellow onion
3 cups vegetable stock
1tsp dried basil
1 red bell pepper
WHAT TO DO:
1. Sauté garlic and onion on a medium heat in a large saucepan until softened; add bell pepper + paprika and cook for 2 more minutes
2. Add the diced tomatoes and stir well; let the tomatoes sizzle for a minute or so
3. Add in the vegetable stock, oregano and dried basil
4. Simmer, stirring, on a medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until everything is soft and the liquid has reduced.
5. Blend up using an immersion blender, adding water to soften if needed, until smooth.
6. Garnish with paprika or black pepper and serve!
Serves 4-6 – or one under-the-weather individual for several days.